Tuesday, January 31, 2012

My Kitchen Clock

So a couple of months ago I got hooked on Pinterest (no, this isn't an intervention although I probably need it).  I have been joyously pinning a ton of cute things on my board (you can follow me if you want the 'follow me on pinterest' is on this page).  Anyway, I found this great clock on pinterest and wanted it for my kitchen.  There was an active link and everything.  Unfortunately it was too large for my small kitchen.  Rats.  So plan B was formed.  Make it myself.  So this past weekend I went for it - after some planning and some coupon buying at my local craft store, my clock was born. 


Cute, right :)   I love it. 

I used a 12 x 12 canvas with really thick sides.  Painted it white with regular acrylic paints.  Did some softening of the edge with my old stenciling brush and a gold and green color combination.  I transferred the letters the old fashioned way by printing the words on my printer then rubbing a pencil on the back of the paper then traced the letters onto the clock front and the carbon from the pencil transferred enough for me to see the basic lettering.  Painted numbers and my phrase with a very small brush.  After it dried I sealed the whole thing with an acrylic gloss sealer.  Then came the challenge of putting on the clock works - I bought the clock works with the shortest stem possible 1/4"  and then put a piece of cardboard between the clock works and the back of the canvas.  Cut the small hole with an razor blade and inserted the post through the canvas.  Worked like a dream and the clock works weren't too heavy on the back.  Oh, and I couldn't find black hands so I used black finger nail polish.  Now the only challenge is learning how to read it - whatever, I'm always late anyway.  Enjoy!

No comments:

Post a Comment