Thursday, September 20, 2012

Fungus among Us

Counting down - only 2 more left to move from my old blog.

My Husband hates mushrooms so they don't show up very often in our regular meals but after all I have read about them I suspect that I will try to add them as a 'side' to the things that we eat. That way he can choose without all the whining. Actually, he's pretty good about it. He just politely puts them on my plate.

Mushrooms (and I'm dealing with mostly the button mushrooms that you get in the grocery store) are a fungi. They are over 60% water so are a good diet food and contain a good dose of fiber. On the GL they stand at 2 so eat them to your hearts content. The stand outs on the vitamin list included Riboflavin and Niacin (both B vitamins) and Selenium (which seems to lower the risk of prostate cancer and heart disease according to one source). They also seem to be high in antioxidants.

My favorite thing about Mushrooms are that the latest research shows that mushrooms decrease the production of estrogen which may help in protection against estrogen positive cancers. It also may protect against estrogen positive tumor growth.

I like mushrooms so even though there are a lot of 'mays' in the research on mushrooms it's enough for me to continue eating them.

The one negative I found was that mushrooms are high in something called purine which may contribute to gout. I guess it reminds me everything in moderation.

Just an FYI mushrooms can be cleaned with just a quick wipe from a paper towel or you can even wash them in cold water but remember they will act like a sponge and soak up some of that water. I wash them but only right before I use them so that they absorb less. Store them in a paper bag in the refrigerator to help them last longer.

Enjoy!

No comments:

Post a Comment