Thursday, September 20, 2012

Onions for All (or you may offend some)

Still moving items from the old blog.

I thought I would find a ton of amazing things about onions but oddly enough, even though they have been around forever, research just hasn't confirmed anything. Everything I find is 'we think' or 'looks promising'. If you go the the vegetarian/health food web sites they call onions the best thing since sliced bread, with claims of fixing just about everything. But when you go to the more scientific sites they qualify everything with 'we just don't know'. So I will do the same. These items are promising but not proven so . . .

Onions show that they might give protection against tumor growth especially with stomach cancer. In rats, that have diabetes, onions slowed kidney damage (but of course rats aren't people - yet). There are some studies that are working on the possible benefits of onions on Alzheimer's. Onions have something called Quercitin which may have Anti-inflammatory (another post in embryo) and Anti-oxidant properties. Nutrition wise I see that it has folate (good) and is low on the Glycemic Load.

The only negative thing I can find about onions is, if you have heartburn, onions may be a 'no no' to you and then, of course, there is the breath issue. That's why if we are going to have onions then we are ALL going to have onions.

I think the biggest benefit of onions is that it helps things taste better without adding any unwanted calories. Period. Sadly I love them best fried :( Onions come in a variety of colors and pungency's. Some of the more favorite varieties seem to be the less pungent varieties and are actually thought to be less helpful health wise. The more pungent the more health benefits the scientist think the onion has.

I guess we wait for the scientist on this one.

Finally on to the last transfer from my old Blog - Glycemic Index and Glycemic Load- I think I finally understand them :)

No comments:

Post a Comment